Those interested in taking action to aid the homeless community can do so by volunteering with Pierce County Human Services. Volunteers currently are being recruited to conduct interviews with individuals and families during the Point-In-Time (PIT) Count on Jan. 24, a nationwide effort to survey people experiencing homelessness.
To be involved, volunteers need to register online, be over 18, have access to a smart phone, and commit to a training session. Three training sessions remain: Jan. 13, 14, and 16 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Pierce County Soundview Building (Tacoma), Key Center Library (Lakebay), and Bonney Lake Justice Center (Bonney Lake), respectively.
“We use the PIT Count to help us better understand how we can help our neighbors in crisis,” Heather Moss of Pierce County Human Services said in a statement. “Our goal is to ensure that homelessness is rare, brief, and one-time. We are thankful to the many volunteers that help us through this effort.”
Those unable to assist in the PIT Count can help by dropping off donations of socks, blankets, hygiene kits, first aid kits, hand warmers, packaged food, and/or bottled water. Drop-offs will be accepted through Jan. 23 at any Pierce County Library and Tacoma Public Library branch, as well as more locations listed below.
The PIT Count produces data that can be used by communities to plan programming and track trends. Last year in Pierce County, volunteers counted 629 people sleeping outdoors, in cars, or in abandoned buildings, with an additional 857 people in emergency shelters or transitional housing units.
Volunteer Training Times
- Jan. 13 – 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Pierce County Soundview Building, 3602 Pacific Ave. in Tacoma
- Jan. 14 – 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Key Center Library, 8905 Key Peninsula Hwy. NW. in Lakebay
- Jan. 16 – 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Bonney Lake Justice Center, 9002 Main St. E. in Bonney Lake
Donation Drop Off Locations
- Any Pierce County Library branch
- Any Tacoma Public Library branch
- Lakewood Community Center, 9112 Lakewood Dr. SW. in Lakewood
- Tillicum/Woodbrook Community Center, 14916 Washington Ave. SW. in Lakewood
- Mountain View Community Center, 3607 122nd Ave. E. Suite A in Edgewood
- Share and Care House, 702 23rd Ave. SE. in Puyallup
- Vadis, 1701 Elm St. E. in Sumner
- Comprehensive Life Resources, 1305 Tacoma Ave. S. Suite 305 in Tacoma
For more information or to register online, visit this website.