After the last Easter egg has been found, it’s time to gather friends and family around the table for an unforgettable brunch celebration. Darigold’s Test Kitchen recipe for Caramelized Banana French Toast with a White Chocolate Crème Anglaise adds a sweet surprise to a breakfast favorite. For a savory side dish, the Au Gratin combines everyone’s three favorite C’s – cheese, cream and carbs. Both dishes are guaranteed to have guests “hopping” up for seconds.
Au Gratin Potatoes
- 4 Cups of Grated Darigold White Cheddar Cheese
- 1 ½ Cups of Grated Parmesan Cheese
- ½ Cup of Darigold Butter
- ¼ Cup of Minced Garlic
- 4 Cups of Darigold Heavy Cream
- 1 ½ Teaspoons of Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Thyme
- 6 Medium Potatoes, Thinly Sliced
- Combine cheeses in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Melt butter in large skillet; add garlic and sauté until garlic is translucent but not browned.
- Add cream, salt, pepper and thyme; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, layer half of the potatoes in an oven-proof casserole or a pan greased with butter.
- Pour half of hot cream mixture over potatoes; layer half of cheese mixture on top of potatoes. Repeat layering process with remaining potatoes, cream and cheese.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 2 hours, or until potatoes are tender and cheese is melted and golden.
Makes 6-8 servings
Caramelized Banana French Toast
- Sliced Brioche Bread
- 6 Eggs
- ½ Cup Darigold Heavy Cream
- ½ Cup Darigold Whole Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon (optional)
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup of Darigold Butter (1 Stick)
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 4 Bananas, Sliced
- Darigold Butter – For cooking toast
- ½ Cup Candied Walnuts
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon; set aside.
- Combine the brown sugar, butter and water in sauté pan. Cook over medium heat until the butter has melted and the sauce comes together and starts to bubble.
- Add the bananas and cook until golden brown; remove from heat.
- While the bananas cook, dip the brioche slices in the eggs mixture.
- Melt a tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook a few slices of the dipped brioche until golden on both sides. Repeat with the remaining dipped slices.
- Top with caramelized bananas and candied walnuts and serve with warm white chocolate crème anglaise (recipe below).
Makes 4 servings
White Chocolate Crème Anglaise for French Toast (optional)
- 1 Cup Darigold Heavy Cream
- ½ Cup Darigold Whole Milk
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 2 Tablespoons Powdered Sugar
- ½ Teaspoon Cornstarch
- 1/3 Cup White Chocolate Chips
- ¼ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Warm the heavy cream over medium-low heat in a medium-size saucepan.
- Combine the milk, egg yolk, powdered sugar and cornstarch in a small mixing bowl and whisk until blended.
- Slowly ladle half of the whipped mixture while whisking constantly. Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining cream.
- Continue cooking over medium-low heat for another five minutes, stirring often to avoid scorching.
- Remove from heat and add white chocolate; when completely melted, add the vanilla. Keep warm over the lowest heat setting.
Makes about 1 ½ Cups