Olympia’s annual Downtown for the Holidays kicked off the holiday season on Nov. 28.
Given the pandemic, the traditional kickoff events did not take place, but the organizers have worked to reimagine the annual Olympia tradition so people can enjoy it safely.
“This year, we’re excited to offer a month of holiday fun for friends and family to enjoy and while we’ll miss the Jingle Bell Parade and visits with Santa, we’re busy decorating Downtown Olympia for the holidays. Our hope is that everyone can enjoy visiting Downtown Olympia all season long at their own pace,” Todd Cutts, executive director of the Olympia Downtown Alliance, said in a press release.
Downtown for the Holidays organizers have planned several events locals can enjoy this year:
- Holiday lighting and decorations throughout Downtown, including over a mile of garland decorating storefronts.
- Twinklefest – Take a self-guided tour through decorated downtown storefronts using an interactive map. Visit olytwinklefest.net for more information.
- A “Winter Wonderland” window display at 4th & Capitol. The display was fabricated by community youth coordinated by Olympia Artspace Alliance and sponsored by Olympia Federal Savings.
- Enjoy snow falling outside The Washington Center and Harlequin’s State Theater through Dec. 20, Saturday and Sundays only, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Take holiday photos with Nutcracker-themed selfie scenes including Land of Sweets at the Washington Center, a Gingerbread House at 5th and Capitol, and Winter Wonderland at Legion and Capitol.
- Enjoy 12 days of complimentary parking in downtown from Dec. 12 to 24 courtesy of the City of Olympia.
- Enjoy free cocoa compliments of Batdorf & Bronson Coffeehouse & Dancing Goats Espresso Bar now through Dec. 20, Saturday and Sunday only from 1 to 3 p.m. when presenting the LoveOly Passport.
- Complimentary Gift Wrapping at the Washington Center and Harlequin’s State Theater now through Dec. 20, Saturdays and Sundays only from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. with proof of purchase from a downtown merchant.
- Back by popular demand: LoveOly Holiday Edition, Shop & Dine Promotion, now through Dec. 24. Download the passport on the Olympia Downtown Alliance website or get one when you visit any participating shop or restaurant and start shopping and dining. Every time you make a $10 or more purchase you’ll receive a sticker on your passport. Get 5 stickers and turn in your passport for your choice of swag including a mug, beanie, or mask.
Downtown for the Holidays is presented by WSECU. Learn more at downtownolympia.org.