‘Tis the season for holiday baking and Darigold’s Test Kitchen has a simple recipe that is guaranteed to impress at the next cookie exchange or holiday gathering.
The dough for these festive red and green Stained-Glass Icebox Cookies can be made ahead with most of the ingredients already in your pantry.
Stained-Glass Icebox Cookies
Yield: Makes about 5 dozen cookies.
Tip: Dough logs can be made up to four days ahead or frozen for up to three months (place in airtight freezer bag). Thaw before slicing and baking.
- 1 cup Darigold Butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 12 to 14 each red and green candied cherries
- Chopped nuts or sprinkles for coating (optional)
- Combine butter and powdered sugar in large mixing bowl.
- Beat with electric mixer on low speed until blended; beat on medium speed about 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add lemon and vanilla and beat until well blended. Stir in flour with spoon, mixing just until dough forms.
- Divide dough in half; place each half on waxed or parchment paper.
- With floured hands, gently spread dough to form a 9x6x1/2-inch rectangle; place 2 rows of red and green cherries (6 to 7 of each color) down center. Pull long sides of dough up and over cherries; pinch together to form log.
- Press dough against cherries to center them. Wrap waxed paper around dough, sealing ends by twisting. Shape into square, triangular or round log. Refrigerate until firm (4 hours or overnight).
- To bake, remove dough from refrigerator; unwrap and roll in desired coating, gently pressing coating into sides. Slice dough with thin-bladed knife into 1/4-inch thick slices; place on baking sheets lined with parchment, about 1 inch apart.
- Bake at 350°F for 8 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. Cool on baking sheets 1 to 2 minutes; transfer to wire rack to cool completely.